Friday, May 8, 2020

Books and movies


https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/ot-bestworst-movies-adapted-books

It is nice to have literate, like-minded friends (all but one who I always skip over), even if on the web.

I used to do that, specifically, read books for movies I really liked, and of course it is easier to watch a movie of a great book.

Two that come to mind are The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and An Unmarried Woman.  Then there is an obvious one, The Firm.  Heart of Darkness.  Of course To Kill a Mockingbird.  Others that come to mind are The Bonfire of the Vanities, Disclosure, Georgy Girl, and...  My favorite novel, The Associates by John Jay Osborne, Jr. was made into a TV series; he also wrote The Paper Chase.  I'll think of some more...

The Prince of Tides, The Water is Wide, The Great Santini, The Lords of Discipline.  The Diary of Bridget Jones.




I got some ideas. This is a high priority.  And I am going to watch the whole movies this time (Into the Wild) and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, including the newer version with Gary Oldman.  A Confederacy of Dunces is fantastic advice; sounds a like The Moviegoer and Walker Percy is a favorite.

Wasn't Investment Biker made into a video?  Gosh, I can do better than that.  But I'm glad I cleaned out my bookshelves!

Gorky Park is another favorite novel.  Catch-22.  You have not lived until you have read a William Styron novel and you will never forget Sophie's Choice, either way you will experience writing done as well as you can do it.  The Mosquito Coast; more Paul Thereoux, although I can't think of any movies.  Richard Russo, Nobody's Fool.  The Russia House.

I'll stop for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz927SK5gYM


No comments:

Post a Comment