Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sorry, Tamani

The main reason I read MgoBlog is that the news is almost instantaneous.  The people who follow it and contribute are fanatics.  And the news covers more than Michigan football or Michigan athletics--it is a great source for NCAA news, other sports, and news in general.  And often the commentators are knowledgeable--there is more to be learned in the comments--and articulate.

The news this morning is that Tamani Carter has left the team.

This is one of the things I intensely dislike about the blog and the fans.  I didn't read the whole thing, but what I read so far in the comments was all about how many recruits the Michigan football team could take for the team that will play over a year from now.  There was no mention of why Tamani left the team, whether it was due to a violation, because he was "cut" by the coaches, or if he left because that is what he wanted to do.  Unfortunately that information is seldom revealed.

I really dislike seeing a kid fail if he is doing all the right things.  And I abhor coaches kicking students out for less than perfect reasons.  Because I don't know otherwise I think this second reason is what usually happens.

Okay, fine, maybe--probably--Tamani is leaving because he likely won't see much playing time.  But he is a redshirt freshman, isn't it possible or likely that he will get better, learn, mature, and improve physically?  Regardless, I don't like the 'who better can we get to replace him?' attitude.

Sometimes people talk about "commits" failing to honor their commitment.  It seems to me Brady Hoke just broke his commitment (again) to keep a student and player in the program for four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment